A Clash of Kings Chapter 53
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Sansa meets Ser Dontos in the godswood and asks him to take her away from King's Landing before the fighting starts.
- Dontos says he has talked to a man who will hire a swift ship, but the time must be right. He and she have decidedly different opinions on what time qualifies as right.
- Sansa returns to her tower and heads up top. Looking across the soon to be besieged city, she feels the urge to fall, but the Hound prevents her.
- She apologizes for not thanking him for her rescue, but he says he did not need courage to fight off those rats.
- When Sansa asks why he is so harsh, the Hound informs her of his survival of the fittest worldview.
- That night, Sansa has a nightmare about the riot and wakes up to the realization that she has had her period.
- She tries to burn the mattress and sheets to remove the evidence, but it proves fruitless as she is still bleeding when they pull her away from the fire.
- Cersei has Sansa invited to her solar for breakfast.
- The Queen Regent opens up to Sansa about womanhood and childbirth, and she confides that Robert was not there when Joffrey was born.
- Sansa may not love the king, Cersei asserts, but she will love his children.