Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Spike is the new addition to the yard.
- Spike's covered with scars. Maybe he should have been called Scar, but that name has already been taken by another animal troublemaker.
- Bobby warns Senora that he doesn't trust Spike, but she tells him, "There are no bad dogs, Bobby, just bad people" (4.18).
- Spike might prove Senora wrong.
- Spike and Top Dog get into a vicious fight—which Bobby breaks up by blasting them both with a high-pressure hose.
- But when the water dries, one thing is clear: Spike is now Top Dog.
- Does that mean Top Dog needs a new name? Second-from-the-Top Dog is a bit of a mouthful.
- When Spike later mounts Sister, Fast jumps in to defend her doggy honor.
- Toby joins Fast, and both dogs scuffle with Spike.
- Spike clamps his jaws on Toby and is taken back to the cool room by Bobby.
- There, the men either put a cast on one of Toby's legs or amputate it; it's unclear.
- Either way, Toby is only able to walk on three legs now.
- Toby doesn't have long to wobble, however, because authorities soon show up at the Yard.
- Senora wails and cries that they can't take her dogs, but the authorities accuse her of keeping the dogs in "inhumane" (4.62) conditions.
- The authorities' humane solution is to round up all the dogs and gas them.
More on A Dog's Purpose