A Great and Terrible Beauty Chapter 8
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Following the girl, Gemma asks where they are going—she is in a vision, and hadn't meant to go along.
- The girl leads her into a cave, where she tells Gemma that Mary wants her to look behind a rock, though Gemma doesn't know anyone named Mary.
- Gemma doubts this is a good idea since Kartik said she would be in danger if she has more visions.
- Answering her questions, the girl tells Gemma she must look because it is the only way to understand what is happening to her; the girl also tells her to hurry and looks frightened.
- Even though Gemma is freaked out, she looks and finds a diary—Mary's diary.
- She reads a bit, like a prologue, about magic and ghosts and the Order, then takes the book back to her room.
- That night, Gemma dreams about her mother tossing her the necklace, which cuts Gemma's hand when she catches it; her mother yells to run.