A Million Little Pieces Part 1, Chapter 4
Advertisement - Guide continues below
Part 1, Chapter 4
- James wakes up. He crawls into the bathroom and pukes. Then he takes a shower.
- Afterward, the doctor brings him pills and clothes, which
James makes use of. ("No, James, take the underwear out of your mouth and
swallow the pills.")
- James walks through the medical unit and meets Lilly again.
They share abridged versions of their life stories; then a man named Roy comes
to take James to the unit.
- Roy tells James that socializing with the opposite sex is "against
the Rules" (1.4.90).
- After Roy fills James in on a few more rules, the two arrive
at the unit, which is called Sawyer. (Other men's units are called Jack, Sayid,
Hurley, and Charlie.)
- James meets his roommates: Larry and Warren, who are playing
cards and ignoring him.
- James lies on the empty bed and sulks until a man named John
- John Everett is a "sexual ninja" (1.4.141) from
San Francisco who is addicted to rock cocaine and sodomy.
- After making that
pleasant acquaintance, James goes with John to the dining hall,
where James gets food and goes to eat alone.
- A man names Ken sits down with James. Ken is James's
recovery counselor, and he gets a bit more background from James.
- Of note is the fact that James skipped out on bail, and he'll
have to deal with the charges while in rehab.
- When Ken asks James if he's willing to do what it takes to
get better, James say, "I don't know" (1.4.250). That's the ol' rehab
- James later goes to get some more pills and then listens to
a group lecture.
- After dinner, he goes to sleep.