A Tree Grows in Brooklyn Chapter 51
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- When the temperature turns colder, Francie enrolls in some fun evening classes. She takes sewing and ballroom dance and really likes them.
- The rest of the chapter is made up of little vignettes, or short little scenes, from the rest of the year. Here are some of the greatest hits:
- Mama encourages Francie not to study too long into the night for her college entrance exam.
- Sissy starts an endowment for her children so they are able to afford college.
- Evy and Willy Flittman have to move around a lot due to his drumming hobby.
- Mary Rommely, 85, is ill and pretty sure she will die soon.
- Francie shares snapshots of her family with the girls at work.
- Francie catches Neeley with a wild woman.
- Mama goes into Francie’s purse and sees cigarettes, but isn’t really mad.
- Mama convinces them that instead of Christmas presents, they will buy wonderful food for the Tynmore women.
- Francie decides to send a Christmas card to Ben.
- The Nolans decide to drink coffee instead of milk punch to celebrate the arrival of 1918.