Alex Cross's Trial Chapter 24
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Knock knock. Ben raps the door of his childhood home, all the while dreading seeing his dad.
- He knows it's a small town, though, and his dad will find out he's there sooner rather than later, so he might as well get this over with.
- Dabney, his dad's housemaid, greets Ben with a big smile. She says it's good to see him, and Ben is glad at least one person is happy he's home.
- His dad's welcome isn't quite as warm, though. In fact, he jokes that someone must have died for Ben to show up again.
- Ben promises himself he won't let his dad get to him.
- The judge offers him some turtle soup, but since it's 90 degrees outside, Ben declines.
- Ben can feel the awkwardness, especially when his dad finds out why he's in town.
- With nothing else to talk about, Ben decides to go.
- His dad tells him on the way out that they should meet up again soon—in another six years. Ouch.