Alex Cross's Trial Chapter 36
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Abraham and Moody take Ben to a gumbo joint over in the Black part of town, where they meet up with Moody's brother Hiram.
- The man serving them has no chin or arm, and when Ben inquires about what happened to him, Abraham tells him that the guy lost it in the war.
- He was fighting for the side that wanted to keep him a slave, but hey, the pay was good and lots of Black men fought on that side, even Abraham.
- Abraham makes a joke about the guy wanting to fiddle (which he obviously can't do with no chin or arm), and Ben falls for it.
- Everyone has a laugh at Ben's expense. "Mr. Corbett ain't too swift," Hiram points out.