Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Ben starts to find his sea legs, but he's shaky as all get out—he walks with crutches, and each step is excruciating to him.
- Abraham goes by Maybelle's for Ben to check for mail, but there is none. Darn.
- What hurts more than his physical injuries is the fact that no one seems to care if he dies.
- Okay, Abraham and Moody, but what about his dad? Or Elizabeth?
- He knows everyone must have heard about his lynching by now in the tiny town.
- Abraham tells him there are cowards in the town and the Quarter; that's the only way that bullies can have their way.
- As Ben walks down the street, someone stops him and thanks him for trying to help out Black people. They know not every white man is evil.
- Moody quips that everyone knows Ben helped them so he's even more of a target now. Yikes.
More on Alex Cross's Trial