Alex Cross's Trial Part 2, Chapter 19
Advertisement - Guide continues below
Part 2, Chapter 19
- On the train down to Mississippi, Ben decides to do a little reading.
- His pick? The Memphis newspapers from the past couple of weeks.
- In them he finds many reports of lynchings that have taken place.
- One man was hanged from a tree and shot so many times that a bullet hit the rope holding him; another was killed right in front of his kids so they could learn a lesson.
- There are quotes from witnesses, and even critiques of the quality of lynching.
- It seems the people view lynching as more entertainment than anything else, which sickens Ben.
- He decides to open a window, and another passenger on the train helps him do it.