Advertisement - Guide continues below
Part 2, Chapter 6
- Susan is once again hanging out while Oliver prepares to descend into the mine. Prager is there, too, and he asks Susan if she's ever been down there.
- That's a nope—Mr. Kendall "did not believe in women going down into mines" (2.6.3). Prager won't take no for an answer, though, and suggests that Susan go down so she can sketch the scene later.
- Amazingly, Prager convinces Oliver and Kendall to let Susan into the mine, although Kendall looks none too happy about it.
- Susan is pretty scared: she panics a little each time the elevator lurches.
- Finally, Susan reaches the bottom. Susan is still freaked out, but she's in awe of how strange it is down there.
- Susan and company watch as a group of Mexican workers pound away at their work. Prager asks Susan what she thinks, and she offhandedly says that the workers seem like "prisoners" (2.6.64).
- Kendall doesn't like this one bit. Susan can feel a great deal of tension between them until they finally reemerge above ground.
More on Angle of Repose