Advertisement - Guide continues below
The Fifty Mothers
- Codi wants to have a funeral for Hallie, but she can't, because Hallie's body is in Nicaragua.
- Instead, Codi decides to find something else that stands for Hallie, like the semilla besada where they hid locks of their hair when they were girls.
- Codi asks everyone to bring something that reminds them of Hallie, and everyone does—from the "Stitch and B****" ladies to Codi's students.
- They all sing songs, and Codi reads parts of Hallie's letters. A bunch of peacocks show up and start howling.
- Codi then lays the afghan on the ground, and everyone puts the things they brought onto it and tells a story about Hallie.
- Codi acknowledges that Doña Althea is her grandmother, and Uda Dell reveals that she crocheted the afghan itself.
- When it's all over, Codi picks up the afghan and takes it home to Doc's.