- Equality 7-2521's first day in the forest is a "day of wonder" (8.1).
- When he wakes up, he realizes that he's free. He can do anything he wants. No bells to wake him up, no Street Sweeping to worry about. This makes him ridiculously happy.
- Equality 7-2521 takes his box and moves further into the forest, with nothing to feel except the "song of [his] body" (8.4).
- When he gets hungry, Equality 7-2521 throws a rock at a bird and kills it. Then he roasts it. The experience is extremely satisfying.
- Walking further, Equality 7-2521 comes upon a stream. And he's astonished to discover that in the stream he can see his own face.
- Equality 7-2521 is pleased to see his face. And his body. He's kind of gorgeous.
- Later that day, Equality 7-2521 recognizes that he is "Damned." And laughs.