Around the World in Eighty Days Chapter 25
Advertisement - Guide continues below
In which a slight glimpse is had of San Francisco
- After docking at San Francisco, Fogg, Aouda, and Passepartout have a whole day before a train they intend to catch leaves for New York.
- Fogg and Aouda go out to eat and "by chance" bump into Fix. The three go on a small tour of the city.
- They get caught up in a political rally and are afraid for Aouda's safety as things start to get rough and rowdy between the two parties.
- An all-out brawl occurs before the three can make their way out of it.
- A man with a red goatee tries to punch Phileas but misses him and hits Fix instead.
- Fogg calls him a "Yankee"—ouch, what an insult—and the goatee calls him "Englishman." Sick burns all around.
- Then the goatee calls him out. He challenges Phileas to a duel and we find out the goatee belongs to one Colonel Stamp Proctor.
- Both Phileas and Fix are in need of new clothes after the brawl, but Aouda is unhurt.
- Fogg swears he will have the duel with Proctor, even if it means he has to come back to America after winning the "around the world" bet.