Around the World in Eighty Days Chapter 31
Advertisement - Guide continues below
In which Fix the detective considerably furthers the interests of Phileas Fogg
- Because of all the mad rescuing going on, Phileas is now about twenty hours behind schedule and has no train to get him from Fort Kearney to his next destination.
- Passepartout feels guilty because it's all his fault, but it's Detective Fix who proposes a new plan.
- He decides to "help" Fogg by suggesting they travel via a newfangled gadget called a "sledge" (basically a wagon with sails).
- Phileas gives the okay, but his gentlemanly honor comes out when he suggests the trip will be dangerous and that Aouda should remain behind with Passepartout.
- Aouda refuses, being the brave girl that she is, and accompanies Fogg to Omaha.
- Phileas and company grab a train to Chicago and then another one to New York, only to find that the ship bound for Liverpool, England has already left.