Autobiography of My Dead Brother Chapter 23
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Another day, another funeral. Pastor Loving is giving another eulogy, and this one's for Rise. Once again, C.J.'s on the organ.
- Jesse's feeling sad. It has been the worst week of his life, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Seeing Rise in the casket is not helping matters.
- Everyone leaves except for Jesse, C.J., and Elder Smitty. C.J. starts playing organ again; it's really pretty.
- Eventually, C.J. and Jesse leave. When they see a kid, Jesse thinks about Little Man, who's already been arrested for Rise's murder.
- C.J. admits that he feels sort of relieved that they won't be involved with gangs anymore. He feels guilty for saying it, but it's true.
- They walk on, both thinking about Rise. Jesse realizes he's never going to understand what was going on with his dead friend. All he has is his sadness.
- Eventually, C.J. changes the subject. Jesse gets it—he understands the impulse to move on.