Big Little Lies Chapter 32
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Madeline and Jane talk things out.
- Madeline's first response is to say how none of this was Jane's fault; she was sexually and verbally assaulted by Saxon Banks.
- Then she starts telling Jane that what he said—that Jane was fat and ugly—was also false.
- Now Jane gets animated. It shouldn't even matter, she says. Men can be fat and ugly and still respected. Fat, ugly men aren't judged for being fat and ugly.
- But for women, she says, "fat and ugly" is the worst thing you can be.
- After Saxon Banks, Jane developed an eating disorder. She used to be voluptuous and is now skinny.
- She hates how much his words hurt her. The end result of the assault was Ziggy—because of Jane's endometriosis, she didn't even think about the possibility of conception.
- And she was "woke up" when Ziggy was born; she sloughed off the depression that had been trailing her.
- Now, however, she's worried that Ziggy's father's abusiveness is coming through in his son's behavior.
- After all, Ziggy was accused of choking Amabella.
- Just like Saxon Banks choked Jane.
- Madeline, angry on behalf of her friend, decides to Google "Saxon Banks."
- Please don't, says Jane.