Big Little Lies Chapter 33
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Celeste goes to a counselor that specializes in domestic violence.
- She specifically picks a counselor that lives a long way away so no one will recognize her going into the counselor's office.
- When she's preparing to go inside, the woman leaving is covered in tattoos and smoking. She looks cheap, thinks Celeste.
- Celeste, to make a point about how not-cheap she is, has worn an expensive dress and a full face of makeup.
- The counselor asks her a lot of questions.
- Are there weapons in the house? No.
- Did Celeste ever think she was going to die? Only once, when Perry almost smothered her with a couch cushion.
- Does Perry ever hurt the boys? No, says Celeste. He loves the boys. And it was so hard to get pregnant—they had multiple miscarriages and the boys were preemies.
- She explains to the counselor that the power balance shifts after Perry assaults her. She gets the power, at least until the bruises fade. And it's…almost worth it.
- He will hit you again, the counselor says. And Celeste needs to make a plan for that eventuality.