Advertisement - Guide continues below
Book 4, Chapter 34
- Sophie has another session with her therapist, who's called Rena (we've just learned her name in this chapter).
- She tells Rena that her mother's mind isn't stable, and that she feels her mother's struggling to keep it together. Sophie explains about her mother's decision to abort the baby.
- She also tells Rena that her mother hears the child speaking to her. Rena suggests that her mother has an exorcism—what she calls a "release ritual."
- Sophie explains that her mother has been reliving the rape every night for twenty-five years and that the pregnancy has made things worse for her. Rena still thinks an exorcism would be a good idea.
- Rena tells her that her mother really needs help—she's in the danger zone.
- Sophie agrees, but knows her mother won't get the psychological help she needs.
- Sophie drives past Davina's house and goes inside to light a candle in their meeting room. When she leaves, she sees the green balloon caught in the branches of a tree.
- It didn't fly away as they'd hoped.
More on Breath, Eyes, Memory