- The Old Woman offers Candide a meal, ointment for his wounds, and a good night’s sleep.
- For several days the woman tends to Candide, but refuses to provide any explanation for her kindness.
- Once he stops bleeding profusely, the woman leads Candide a few miles into the country to yet another strange house.
- She brings a veiled woman into the room; Candide lifts the veil and finds that the woman is Cunégonde.
- Cunégonde survived the attack on her family, but was raped and disemboweled. The rest of her family was killed.
- Candide recounts all of his experiences since their last meeting.