Catch-22 Chapter 11
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Captain Black is joyous over the news of Bologna and reports it to all the men, reveling in the fear he causes. It reminds him of his happiest days, when he instilled fear into everyone with his Glorious Loyalty Oath Crusade, (G.L.O.C.).
- Let's learn about the G.L.O.C.
- Black is angry that Major Major has been named for the promotion instead of him and plans the Crusade to get back at Major Major. He has all the men sign loyalty oaths for every administrative purpose, but won't allow Major Major to sign.
- When the other officers begin following his lead, Black sets up something new to keep one step ahead. First, he has the men sign more loyalty oaths. Then, as if that were not enough, he requires them to recite the pledge of allegiance, and to sing "The Star-Spangled Banner."
- All of this comes to a grinding halt when the venerated Major ---------- de Coverley returns from Rome. When the Major sees the ridiculously long lines of men in the mess hall signing oaths, pledging allegiance, and singing the anthem, he gets fed up.
- He approaches Colonel Snark and demands food with a gruff, "Gimme eat." Nobody dares challenge him. Then he demands that everybody be given food immediately, and his orders are obeyed.
- The Glorious Loyalty Oath Crusade crumbles out of existence.
Catch-22 Chapter 11 Study Group
Ask questions, get answers, and discuss with others.
Tired of ads?
Join today and never see them again.