Advertisement - Guide continues below
- "That's all I'm going to tell you about," Holden says, which means we're starting the last chapter much as we started the first.
- He says he's not going to talk about how he went home after that, how he got sick, and what school he's going to go to next year "after [he gets] out of here."
- But there is there's one psychoanalyst around who keeps asking if he's going to apply himself next year. How should he know?
- D.B. is there visiting, and he asks Holden a lot of questions, mostly what he thinks about all this business (all this business = the stuff we just read).
- All Holden knows is that he misses everyone he told us about, even jerks like Stradlater.
- That's the thing, Holden concludes: "Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody."
- Whew. That sure was … wait for it … depressing.
More on The Catcher in the Rye