- On his way back to the hotel, John spies Jack's Hobby Shop. Since it was Frank Hoenikker's old haunt, he decides to check it out.
- Inside is a guy named Jack and various hobbies one could take up. Go figure.
- Jack tells John how kind Frank was as a boy. Really? The kid shaking bugs in a jar, Frank Hoenikker? Really?
- Jack takes John into the basement to "show [him] what kind of a boy Franklin Hoenikker was" (35.3).
- Down there is a model country, intricately detailed and expansive. Seems Secret Agent X-9 spent his free time down there working on this model. It's so detailed the door handles even work.
- Jack considers his hobby shop Frank's real home. Okay, we're going to put our cynicism aside for a second and say that that's actually pretty sweet.
- John mentions how talented Frank was and Jack is hit by a coughing fit when he tries to agree passionately.
- Jack wishes he could have given Frank the money to go to engineering school. Instead, Frank went to Florida and was killed by gangsters.
- Jack cries, wondering if those gangsters "have any idea what it was they killed" (35.36).