- John looks through the pictures of Angela's family and other people she loves.
- After seeing Dr. Hoenikker's picture, John wonders how the good doctor died. Angela tells him it was in their cottage during Christmas.
- He died in his chair while Angela was out getting Christmas tree bulbs, and Newt and Frank were playing with a Labrador retriever they found on the snowy beach.
- When they all got back, he was dead.
- Naturally, Angela and Newt neglect to mention their Christmas present: a heaping helping each of ice-nine.