Dr. Schlichter von Koenigswald Approaches the Break-Even Point
- Julian reveals that "Papa" is dying of cancer of the everything. He's also at the point where any more drugs would be just as much a death sentence as the cancer.
- Julian must be in the revealing mood because he also mentions that McCabe killed himself. He isn't sure why but guesses that "[u]nrelieved villainy just wore him out" (83.9)
- Angela mentions how cheery the conversation is, and Julian retorts that "these are cheerful times" (83.11).
- John asks who "Papa's" doctor is if it's not Julian.
- It's a man named Dr. Schlichter von Koenigswald. He was a member of the Nazi party, part of the SS, and the head doctor at Auschwitz. He's on a mission to atone for all the people he let die.
- Julian estimates that at his present rate of saving lives that Dr. Koenigswald will break even in 3010.