Bell, Book, and Chicken in a Hatbox
- Dr. Koenigswald is seeing his patient, so Frank and John don't get in right away.
- They wait in the anteroom. Due to some oddly placed iron rings, John asks if the room had once been a torture chamber.
- In fact, it had, and there's even an oubliette beneath them.
- If there's also a secret passage behind the bookcase in the library, consider us sold.
- In the waiting room with them is San Lorenzo's Christian minister, Dr. Vox Humana.
- Since both Catholicism and Protestantism are outlawed on San Lorenzo, Dr. Vox Humana has to create his own denomination of Christianity.
- Hence the reason he has a bell, chicken, Bible, and butcher knife with him.
- Dr. Koenigswald exits the room. Frank promises not to tire "Papa" out, but the doctor says the old dictator might be grateful if they just killed him.