- Betonie's ceremonial chant looks just like the poems we've seen so far.
- Basically, Betonie is chanting that Tayo has been to a very dangerous place—the place where the "whirling darkness" started and spread to the four corners of the earth.
- Shush is acting particularly bear-like. In fact, he's made bear prints all over the room.
- Betonie comes up to Tayo and cuts him across the top of the head. Ouch!
- Then Betonie and Shush pick up Tayo and guide his feet into the bear footprints.
- Betonie chants as they lead Tayo through each of the five hoops.