The song "We Are Family" would take on a whole new meaning in the world of City of Ashes. The Pointer Sisters had all their sisters with them, and they wanted everyone to get up and sing.
Jace and Clary's family… well, there's not much singing. They're either trying to kill each other or trying to kiss each other. Yeah, the Wayland/Morganstern/Fray/whatever-the-last-name-is families make for the weirdest family ever.
Questions About Family
- How does Clary's relationship with her father figure Luke compare to Jace's relationship with his mother figure Maryse?
- Who wants a romantic relationship with his/her sibling more, Clary or Jace? What prompts each character to change his/her mind?
- Is it wrong for Clary and Jace to be romantically interested in one another?
- Would Valentine actually let the Inquisitor kill Jace? Why or why not? Would he feel any remorse over the loss of his son?
- If the Inquisitor threatened to kill Clary instead of Jace, would Valentine have made the same decision?
Chew on This
Family doesn't matter at all in the world of the Mortal Instruments. For example, Valentine would kill his own son, and Clary would have sex with her own brother.
Or, family does matter, but it's the family that chooses you that matters (like Luke and Clary, or Maryse and Jace) instead of the family you're born to.