Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Back at the prison, Clarissa's in a bit of a bind. Sally and Polly, the two lovely prostitutes, say they're happy to take her back to Mrs. Sinclair's.
- Clarissa gets about as rude as Clarissa can get in turning
them down. That is to say, she's not very rude.
- When Belford appears on the scene, Clarissa's looking very
pure in an all-white outfit. She thinks he's another one of Lovelace's pawns.
- It takes some serious wheedling, but Belford finally
convinces Clarissa to let him take her back to her lodgings. That is to say, not Lovelace's
- Back at the ranch, Clarissa's not doing so hot. She's
basically on death's door.
- Belford hires a doctor dude named Mr. H. to come check
Clarissa out, but she's a lost cause. Even though she's totally broke, Clarissa
wants to pay everyone who has helped her.
- She sells her diamond ring and some clothes to pay Mr. H.,
because she's just that conscientious.
- In parallel story land, Belford visits his old friend
Belton. Remember that guy? He's the one whose mistress hung him out to dry.
- Turns out he's about to die, too. The guy can't catch a
- Mr. Hickman, Anna's guy, pays a little visit to Lovelace. He
somehow still thinks he can salvage this thing by making Lovelace marry
- Lovelace gets all dramatic and says only Death can marry her
now. Whatever you say, weirdo.
- Belford gets Clarissa all set up in a slightly nicer lodging
situation at Mrs. Smith's.
- Clarissa's definitely preparing for death. Everyone who sees
her can't help but think that she's got an angel kind of thing going on.
- She even writes to Anna that she's ready to accept Death as
- Anna writes to Arabella to let her know the low-down, which
is most definitely a mistake, since sis is not the warm and fuzzy type.
- Arabella refuses to reconcile with Clarissa, even though she
knows how bad things have gotten.
- At least Clarissa is continuing to write a little bit.
Belford sends Lovelace some lines she's written in order to show him that the
girl's still got it.
- In an epic showdown, Lovelace and Anna run into each other
at a ball. Does Anna punch him? Does she go all samurai on his smug little
face? Nope, she snaps her fan at him. You show him, girl!
- Lovelace is still holding out hope that Clarissa might marry
him. He even thinks for a second that Clarissa might be pregnant with a little
Lovelace, because that would solve all of his problems.
- Good news, everyone! Mr. Harlowe has removed his curse from
- Mrs. Norton tries to get Mrs. Harlowe to accept her daughter
back, but the woman is cold-hearted.
- Meanwhile, Clarissa is writing letters to try to gain the
forgiveness of her family. It's a no-go.
- Clarissa gets Belford to sign on as the executor of her
will. She's dead serious about this dying thing. Lolllllllllll.
More on Clarissa