A Confederacy of Dunces Chapter 8
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Mrs. Levy tries to improve Miss Trixie's psychological health by telling her she's happy; Miss Trixie tries to sleep; Mr. Levy tells Mrs. Levy to leave Trixie alone. Good times abound.
- Officer Mancuso is in the bus station bathroom and has a terrible cold. He is reading the Consolation of Philosophy, and it is making him depressed.
- Mancuso discovers George in the bathroom and tries to arrest him, but George grabs the Consolation of Philosophy and hits Mancuso in the head with it.
- Later, Mrs. Reilly and Mancuso go over to Santa's house, where Santa tells Mrs. Reilly that there's an old man interested in meeting her, and he's coming to the house.
- The old man turns out to be Claude Robichaux, the guy Mrs. Reilly got arrested at the beginning of the book.
- Mrs. Reilly is extremely uncomfortable especially since Officer Mancuso is in the other room; she's afraid there will be a scene when Robichaux sees him.
- Robichaux and Mrs. Reilly chat. Mrs. Reilly gets somewhat drunk, and complains about Ignatius.
- Finally Mancuso appears and, just as Mrs. Reilly feared, Robichaux screams at him; Mancuso is depressed.
- Mancuso apologizes to Robichaux, and they manage to make amends well enough.