A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court Chapter 10
Advertisement - Guide continues below
Beginnings of a Civilization
- King Arthur suggests that Hank the Yank set out on a quest or adventure to gain renown like Sir Sagramor.
- The Yankee decides that that's a really bad idea, saying that the system he's implementing will take several years to put into place.
- The Yankee sets up schools, nurseries, and Sunday schools—allowing folks to believe in whatever branch of Christianity they want, and drawing a firm distinction between church and state.
- Four years pass, and the Yankee's plans soon bring civilization to England, including factories, schools, and secret military and engineering academies.
- The Catholic Church disapproves of his efforts and he thinks it best not to antagonize them more than necessary.