Teddy bears are designed to be snuggled, cuddled, and loved by children, but none of the shoppers at the Big Store™ are interested in our hero, Corduroy.
One little girl declares that he's "the very bear [she's] always wanted," but her mother has officially reached the "drop" stage of "shop 'til you drop" and points out that Corduroy's overalls are missing a button. Corduroy decides to find the button after the store closes.
He climbs down off his shelf and begins to explore the store, discovering a "mountain" (escalator) and a "palace" (the furniture section of Big Store™). Mistaking the buttons on a display mattress for his own, Corduroy tries to pry one button loose and flies off the bed, knocking over a lamp. The store's night watchman hears the commotion, finds Corduroy, and brings him back to the toy department.
The next morning, the same little girl returns to the store, introduces herself to Corduroy as Lisa, and purchases him with the money she saved in her piggy bank. (Aww.)
She races home with Corduroy in her arms and brings him to her small-but-cozy room, where she's already set up a doll-sized bed for her new buddy. (Awww.)
As Lisa repairs Corduroy's missing button, he realizes that he's finally found what he's always wanted: a friend. (Awwwwwww.)
The end. How sweet is that?
- Corduroy, a teddy bear in green overalls, waits on a shelf in a crowded department store for somebody to purchase him.
- Unfortunately, nobody seems interested.
- At long last, a little girl sees Corduroy and says he's "the very bear [she's] always wanted."
- Unfortunately again, the little girl's mom doesn't want to spend any more money. The girl's mother also notes that Corduroy is missing a button on his overalls, and they leave Corduroy behind.
- Now determined to find his button, Corduroy climbs down off his shelf after the store closes.
- He accidentally steps onto an escalator, which he assumes is a mountain, and rides it up to the furniture section of the store. Corduroy checks out these new digs, believing he's in a palace.
- Mistaking the buttons on a display mattress for his own, he tries to pull one button off. He pulls a little too hard and flies off the bed, knocking over a lamp.
- The store's night watchman hears the commotion, finds Corduroy, and brings him back to the toy department.
- The following morning, the same little girl returns to the store and introduces herself to Corduroy as Lisa.
- Lisa purchases Corduroy with the money she saved in her piggy bank. The saleslady asks Lisa if she'd like a box for Corduroy, but Lisa declines, opting to carry her furry new friend home.
- Lisa runs up four flights of stairs to her family's apartment and brings him to her small-but-cozy room.
- Corduroy admires the setup of Lisa's room: It has a chair, a dresser, a bed, and—gasp!—a doll-sized bed for him.
- Lisa picks Corduroy up and sews a new button onto his overalls.
- Declaring their newfound friendship, Corduroy and Lisa embrace, and they all live happily ever after.