The Count of Monte Cristo Chapter 72
Advertisement - Guide continues below
Madame de Saint-Méran
- That very night, the Marquis de Saint-Méran's wife becomes very, very sick.
- The following morning, she knows she is going to die.
- Also, in the middle of the night, she saw someone or something in white fiddle with the glass next to her bed.
- On her deathbed, Madame de Saint-Méran is even more eager to get her granddaughter, Valentine, hitched. She wants Franz D'Epinay to come back and marry Valentine.
- Valentine really wants to tell her grandmother that she's in love with someone else (Max Morrel), but she knows that her grandmother wouldn't approve of him as a husband (he's poor).