Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Crispin keeps run-walking along the southern road as far as he can.
- He's wracked with grief and guilt over Father Quinel's death, and imagines the same grisly end is waiting for him.
- He's lost the bag of food Goodwife Peregrine gave him, but he doesn't dare go back for it.
- At least he still has the pouch around his neck and the cross of lead he carries inside it.
- Crispin finds a place to sleep and begs Jesus, Mary, and Saint Giles for mercy.
More on Crispin: Cross of Lead