Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Crispin wakes to hear horses going by. Guess who? Our old friends the steward, the bailiff, and the stranger from the forest.
- He manages to hide and spends a good chunk of time feeling sorry for himself because he's lost his mother, Father Quinel, and the only home he's ever known. Truthfully, we can't say we blame him.
- He keeps moving south, but slowly, pausing to consider that he doesn't know what to do.
- He sees the bailiff heading back to Stromford, but the steward and the stranger never reappear, so he fears they're waiting up ahead.
- Finally Crispin hits rock bottom and begs Jesus to take him to heaven. He doesn't want to live anymore, which he knows is a sin.
More on Crispin: Cross of Lead