Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Aycliffe leads Crispin out of the great hall, down a flight of steps, and through several rooms in which food is stored and people are sleeping.
- They descend again, and it becomes very cold; Aycliffe orders a guard to take them to Bear.
- When they reach Bear's cell, Aycliffe allows Crispin to take a light and go in to see Bear.
- Bear has been roughed up, to say the least, and doesn't seem to understand that Crispin is here to save him.
- When Crispin finally gets Bear on his feet, he demands clothes and water for Bear.
- Aycliffe provides it, but then he and Crispin have a standoff about when and where Crispin will turn over the cross of lead.
- Finally Aycliffe relents, and guards lead Bear and Crispin up the stairs and out of the palace.
- They head toward the city walls, but Crispin doubts whether they will really be allowed to leave.
More on Crispin: Cross of Lead