Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Crispin hides throughout the day, pondering everything the priest told him.
- At nightfall, he goes to Goodwife Peregrine's cottage.
- Before he can get there, though, a boy named Cerdic intercepts him and tells him Father Quinel couldn't come.
- Unwilling to trust Cerdic, Crispin goes to Goodwife Peregrine anyway.
- She is also surprised that Father Quinel isn't there, but she gives Crispin a leather pouch and says some (magic?) words over him. She also gives him bread for the journey.
- Cerdic says the steward is offering a reward of twenty shillings for Crispin's capture, which is half a year's wages.
- Goodwife Peregrine just about pushes him out of her cottage.
More on Crispin: Cross of Lead