Advertisement - Guide continues below
Act 1, Scene 3
Read the full text of Cymbeline Act 1 Scene 3 with a side-by-side translation HERE.
- Cloten is certain he would have defeated Posthumus in a fight. At least that's what he tells a couple of lords hangin' in the public square.
- Of course, of course, the lords tell him. You'd destroy him and turn him into a carcass.
- But then the lords tell us what they really think. One lord says Cloten's so much a fool you couldn't even measure his foolishness on the ground. Oh, snap.
- When Cloten says someone would have been hurt in the fight, the lord tells us it doesn't hurt when asses fall. Yep, he's calling Cloten an ass.
- Luckily, Cloten is none the wiser about all of these snarls and jokes behind his back. That only makes us think he's all the more foolish.
More on Cymbeline, King of Britain