Patty Day—January 2, 1985 9:42 a.m.
- Patty is sad that Ben dyed his hair, not because he left the sink a mess, but because she feels like he did it because he's all by himself.
- Patty cleans the kitchen while thinking about her deadbeat husband and about how hard life is on her farm.
- The farm just isn't what it used to be, and other farmers aren't nice to farmers who are in debt.
- Patty thinks of one guy who died in an accident. People were sad "til they found out the man's farm was going under" (6.25).
- Someone at the door shakes Patty from her thoughts. She hopes it's her sister Diane, but it's not. It's creepy Len, the loan officer.
- Len has an idea for how Patty can earn some money…