- Mr. Knightley and Mrs. Weston get together to talk about Emma. Get used to this – talking about Emma is one of the town’s favorite pastimes.
- Knightley’s convinced that Harriet is bad for Emma. After all, how many more ego boosts does Emma actually need?
- Begin the Emma love-fest: Knightley and Mrs. Weston hash over how pretty and lovable Emma is.
- Despite this, Knightley’s got a few "elder brother-ly" critiques.
- For one thing, Emma’s never finished anything she’s started.
- For another, she needs a good ol’ fashioned heartbreak to set her in her place.
- Mrs. Weston tells Mr. Knightley that she’s secretly hoping Frank will sweep into town – and sweep Emma off her feet.
- Mr. Knightley promises not to upset Emma’s sister by telling her about Emma’s improper friendship.