Their Eyes Were Watching God Chapter 10
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- One day, the whole town leaves to attend a baseball game in Winter Park, including Hezekiah. Janie tends to the store by herself.
- In the evening, a man walks in, and they immediately hit it off. He’s charming and claims to have come to the wrong town looking for the ball game.
- Then, he invites Janie to play checkers. Since she doesn’t know how to play, he teaches her, and she’s delighted that a man thinks it natural for a woman to play as his equal.
- Janie gets excited about him. He’s everything a girl could want—tall, dark, handsome, not misogynistic, and so different than her old, fat, dominating husbands.
- They joke around for the whole evening, and we learn that this man has a high opinion of women, saying they can do the same things as men—play checkers, walk far, ride a train.
- Eventually, we learn the stranger’s name is Vergible Woods, but he goes by Tea Cake.
- He ends up helping her close up the store and walks her home.
- Though Janie is cautious, she finds herself very comfortable around him, as if she has known him her whole life.
Their Eyes Were Watching God Chapter 10 Study Group
Ask questions, get answers, and discuss with others.
Tired of ads?
Join today and never see them again.