The Faerie Queene Book 5, Proem
Advertisement - Guide continues below
Book 5, Proem
- This book is called "The Fifth Booke of the Faerie Queene, contayning The Legend of Artegall, or Of Justice." This is the second-to-last book, everybody: the finish line is approaching.
- Our narrator laments how bad the present time is compared to the past.
- Back in the day there was a golden age, but now, it's an age of stone.
- So, don't blame him if he writes a poem in an old style since old is better.
- Everything is topsy-turvy now, what was bad is now considered good, and vice-versa—even the stars and constellations are out of order.
- But long ago, people really valued what mattered, like justice for instance, which is one of the most importance virtues around, especially for good leaders.
- So, with justice in mind, our narrator begins the story of Artegall.
- We have the sneaking suspicion that Spencer fondly remembers when you could get a can of Coke for twenty-five cents, and when music just sounded better.