The Fallen Star Summary
Gemma is an eighteen-year-old girl living in a small town called Afton with her grandparents Sophia and Marco—the most unaffectionate and distant people ever. Gemma used to not feel emotions at all, but recently she's been bombarded with them, and on top of that, she's had these scary nightmares about ice demons chasing her through the woods. Yikes.
She goes off to school and sees a cute new boy named Alex who's just started at school with his sister, Aislin. Gemma feels odd sparks of electricity whenever they talk and touch, but Alex seems to completely hate her.
Alex, Aislin, and Gemma have to work together on an astronomy project. One day, Alex takes Gemma to the woods and shows her a spot where a star supposedly fell two decades ago; he says that a group was sent to protect the star. Okay…
Later Alex comes to Gemma's house and she overhears him talking to Sophia as though they know each other. One night, they all go on an astronomy field trip and when Gemma looks into the telescope, she sees a vision of a woman talking to a little girl. This freaks her out and she runs to the school bus. Alex follows her and they kiss right before the ice demons from Gemma's nightmares show up for real. Before the ice demons can freeze them to death, Aislin bursts in and does something with a crystal—and Gemma feels herself being sucked into a dark tunnel.
When Gemma lands, she learns that they are in a house outside of Las Vegas and that Aislin transported them there via magic. Alex explains that he and Aislin are Keepers, which means they're part of the group sent to protect the star because the star is the only thing that can prevent a portal from opening and letting out a bunch of Death Walkers (those scary demons) that will end the world.
He also reveals that Gemma has the star's power inside of her because her mother, Jocelyn, was a Keeper, too, and hid the power inside her baby. Whoa. Aislin returns with the owner of the house, Laylen, who is a vampire.
They decide to go into town to get Aislin another crystal so that she and Alex can go back to Afton and look for Marco, Sophia, and Stephan—their father who is the leader of the Keepers. They need to find out from these folks what the heck to do next.
When they drive into Las Vegas, Laylen has them stop at a vampire club first so that they can steal the Sword of Immortality, which is the only thing that can kill Death Walkers. At the club, they are attacked by a couple Death Walkers, though Alex is able to kill them with the sword. Phew.
Then they go to a store where Aislin picks out a crystal. While there, Gemma accidentally touches a crystal ball and is sucked into a vision where she sees the same woman and girl from before—except now there is a man forcing the woman into a lake. She cannot see their faces fully, but the vision disturbs her even after it ends.
Alex and Aislin go to Afton to look for everyone else while Laylen remains behind with Gemma. He tells her that Stephan is very power hungry and might have been involved in her mother's disappearance. This little truth bomb shocks Gemma, and then Death Walkers attack and Gemma stabs one before Alex shows up to save the day. Again.
Alex has Aislin transport him and Gemma to a cabin where they can stay safe. After they arrive, they go to the grocery store to pick up some supplies and a guy named Nicholas starts chatting Gemma up. Alex pulls her away and they go back to the cabin, but when Gemma walks in, the Nicholas guy is there and says that he's taking her with him. Um… no? He tells Alex that because Gemma saw a vision, she belongs with the Foreseers according to the rules of the magical world.
Nicholas takes both of them to the City of Crystal, where the Foreseers live. They meet with Dyvinius, the leader of the Foreseers, who says that the Keepers can have Gemma for the time being, but she will eventually have to come complete her training to be a Foreseer.
Then he tells her that she has to "fix" the vision she had before she goes back with Alex. Say what? Basically, because the faces in the vision were blurry, Gemma has to go back in and make sure they become clear. When she does, she learns that the woman is her mother, the little girl is her, and the man who forces her mother into the lake is the same one who is in her dreams. He has a distinct scar on his face. Eek.
They return to the cabin and Alex reveals to Gemma that the reason she doesn't feel emotions is because they detached her soul from its feelings—and Stephan wants to take away her soul completely, because if she is emotional, the star's power drains and may not work anymore.
Understandably, Gemma gets pretty upset so Alex gives her a locket that her mother gave to her before kissing her again. When Gemma opens the locket up to see the picture inside, she realizes that Stephan is the man from her dreams and the one who pushed her mother into the lake. She is upset and tells Alex that he can't trust his father, which makes him angry.
Then Stephan shows up with all the Death Walkers and Gemma goes running off into the woods. Stephan finds her, though, and stabs her in the leg to teach her a lesson. Then he brings her back to the cabin, where he opens a box with a stone inside. He says that it will both remove her soul and completely wipe her mind so that she won't even be able to function anymore. Gemma is horrified and looks to Alex, who does not help her. Slowly, her eyes close and she feels nothing.
- Meet Gemma, our main character who is in the middle of a terrible nightmare in which she's running through a forest while black-cloaked monsters chase her. Dementors, much?
- In the dream, the creatures approach her and a tall man comes out and tells her that she won't escape. Then she starts to freeze to death.
- Yeah, things are off to a pretty creepy start.
- Gemma wakes up totally freaked out, even though she's had this nightmare every single night recently.
- This recurring bad dream isn't not the only thing bothering her, either: She's been going through a weird phase (even for a teenager). See, she used to not feel any emotions, but in the past month something's changed and Gemma can actually feel, well, feelings.
- She's been crying and getting angry and feeling afraid all over the place—it's totally weird and she hasn't been able to talk to anyone about it.
- Her alarm goes off and Gemma gets dressed before going downstairs. Her grandparents, Marco and Sophia, are already there eating breakfast. They give her a very lukewarm hello.
- She's lived with them since her parents died in a car accident when she was one, but they've never shown her a lot of love. And since emotions started kicking in, they've avoided her even more.
- They also refuse to talk about her parents, which seems super odd. Understandably, Gemma is totally planning to move far, far away after she graduates from high school in a few months. She hates living in this small town of Afton with her emotionally unavailable grandparents.
- She drives to school and parks in the parking lot. As she's getting out of her car, she sees a new guy walking into the school and her heart does a weird fluttery thing. That's never happened before…
- As she walks into the school, they approach the door at the same time, and when she looks him in the eye, Gemma feels a shock of electricity. She gasps.
- The dude seems to feel something, too, but instead of looking surprised, he just looks at her with pure hatred. Um… what's up with that?
- Gemma has no idea what's going on and if this is what people refer to as a "crush." She's never felt this way before, but she can't stop thinking about the new guy.
- During third period, Gemma goes to astronomy, which is usually her favorite class. Today, however, she feels completely discombobulated.
- The teacher, Mr. Sterling, announces that they have two new students, then he introduces a girl, Aislin Avery, and a boy, Alex Avery. Of course the boy is the guy that Gemma ran into earlier.
- With her luck, they're both seated at Gemma's table. Aislin smiles and introduces herself to Gemma, but Alex just continues to glare at her. Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed…
- Whenever she looks at him she still gets that jolt of electricity, though. Aislin tells them that they're supposed to be working together in a group to go over review questions, but Alex gets all cranky and says that he doesn't want to work together. Then he grabs his book bag and walks straight out of the room. Talk about a drama llama.
- Over the next few days, Alex continues to act like he'd rather be anywhere but near Gemma, while she continues to be weirdly drawn to him.
- On Friday, Mr. Sterling has the class quiz each other on a deck of cards showing different constellations.
- Aislin isn't paying attention and gets a slip to go to the counselor's office, thereby leaving Alex and Gemma alone at their table.
- They just sit there and stare at each other while electricity and antagonism flow through them until Mr. Sterling calls them into the hallway and tells them that they need to start working together. Or else.
- Gemma starts quizzing Alex on the cards and he talks to her in a totally condescending way. She loses it and tells him that he's being a jerk, and that if he doesn't want to work with her, then she won't try anymore.
- He promises that he won't be a jerk anymore, and they work together in quiet peace… for now at least.
- When the bell rings, Gemma immediately goes to the library to eat lunch—she's always been quite the loner.
- She's perusing the shelves when she hears someone mention her name and starts eavesdropping. Alex and Aislin are in the library, and he's telling his sister all about the weird buzz that happens whenever he talks to Gemma.
- They say something about a prophecy and are about to say more, but then Alex shushes Aislin; Gemma tries to sneak away before she's caught.
- Instead of disappearing quietly, though, Gemma gets busted when the librarian comes up to her and asks if she needs help with anything.
- When she turns around again, Alex and Aislin are gone. Too bad.
- Once again, Gemma has a terrifying nightmare about being chased by scary creatures. But this time, at the end of the dream, a man with a scar steps forward and transforms into Alex. Um, uh-oh.
- She wakes up freaking out and considers telling Marco and Sophia about everything, but when she goes downstairs, her grandparents glare at her and Gemma realizes that she can't tell them anything.
- When Gemma gets to class, Alex and Aislin are in a deep conversation. He glares at her when she gets there, but Aislin smiles and acts super friendly. What's going on?
- On top of everything else, Mr. Sterling decides to assign a group project, which means Gemma will have to be around Alex and Aislin even more often. Great.
- She heads to the library again and finds the book that she was last reading—one about a girl with superpowers. It's slightly too far up on the shelf, though, and Alex appears out of nowhere to help her grab it.
- He insinuates that he knows about her eavesdropping and then asks if she'll meet them at the library after school to pick a topic for the group project.
- When Alex gives her the book, their fingers brush and Gemma feels a crazy amount of electricity. They're both shocked.
- Gemma goes to the rest of her classes and returns to the library after school. Her head is killing her and Aislin hands her some Tylenol when she shows up.
- They decide to make a galaxy map and type up a report to go along with it, figuring this is the least time consuming approach and that they won't have to work together too much on it.
- Gemma goes out to the parking lot to find her car and notices that there's a bunch of fog. She also sees ice on the ground—and it looks like it's moving toward her.
- Immediately, she flashes back to her terrifying nightmares about the evil creatures with ice and starts looking for her car. She gets even more scared when she sees something that looks like those yellow eyes from her dreams.
- Gemma is sprinting when she runs straight into Alex, who asks her why she's so scared.
- She lies and says that she saw a dog, then Alex hands her a book that she forgot in the library and tells her to drive safe. Then he walks away.
- As soon as he turns around, Gemma runs straight to her car.
- Gemma is still shaken up as she drives home because she can't shake the feeling that the monsters from her nightmares were in that parking lot.
- She gets home, locks herself in her bedroom, and tries to figure out what to do. Should she wait to see what happens, or should she tell her grandparents?
- Gemma decides to go downstairs to tell Marco and Sophia, but they act cold and distant again, and she realizes that she doesn't want to share with them. She also suspects that they've been talking about her.
- In astronomy class, Gemma sees that she'll just be sitting alone with Alex today because Aislin is home sick with the flu. This should be interesting.
- They start bickering again and Gemma's temper flares up, but then Alex surprises her by telling her that he's thinking of cutting class and wants to know if she'd like to come along.
- She thinks he's kidding at first, but is still too curious to pass up the chance to find out more. And so, despite her better judgment, Gemma picks up her book bag and follows him right out the door.
- Gemma starts regretting her decision when she gets into Alex's car and realizes that he's driving toward the mountains—the same mountains that appear in her nightmares every night.
- He won't tell her what they're doing or where exactly they're going, though he does ask Gemma why she looks so scared.
- Alex pulls up in front of an old log cabin and tells her to wait in the car. She's nervous, but thankfully he returns quite quickly, saying he just needed to check on something, though he doesn't elaborate.
- They are back on the road and Alex drives farther up the mountain before stopping in the middle of the road. He wants to get out and walk deeper into the woods to show her something.
- Of course all of this is freaking Gemma out—this is exactly how girls get murdered, after all—but she follows him into the woods anyway. They get to a clearing where Alex points out a spot on the ground where the snow is melted away.
- He tells her that according to legend, twenty years ago a part of a star fell from the sky and landed right there. She says that she's never heard that particular local legend.
- Alex explains that people don't know about it because a secret group collected the star before anyone else could discover it. Ah, sure, buddy; whatever you say.
- Gemma touches the spot and feels something odd, but when Alex asks her she says that she doesn't feel anything.
- On the ride back, they listen to music and Alex offhandedly tells Gemma that she's cute. This guy is sending some pretty mixed signals.
- They're having a good time until Gemma tells Alex that she likes soul speaking music and he gets all moody and weird again.
- When Gemma gets home, Sophia demands to know where she's been. Gemma gets annoyed and asks her why she cares so much, to which Sophia says that she doesn't care about Gemma at all.
- Well, she won't be winning any Grandmother of the Year awards anytime soon.
- Gemma goes to school and tries to put Sophia's hurtful words out of her mind, even though they really hurt her feelings.
- In astronomy class, Gemma and Alex go to the library to do research for their project. He touches her on the back on purpose and that weird current of electricity runs through them again as they stare into each other's eyes.
- As they hunt for books, Alex asks her why she's so fascinated with astronomy. She asks him the same question back, but he says that he's just in this class to get an easy A.
- The mean girl in Gemma's class, Kelsey, comes up and starts flirting with Alex. She even makes snide remarks about how the project would be better if they got to choose the people they work with, but Alex tells her that he doesn't really care; he's fine with working with Gemma.
- Gemma's finally had enough and snaps at Kelsey, who gets angry and storms off.
- That's when Gemma tells Alex that she likes astronomy because she sometimes wishes that she could be up in the sky with the stars.
- Immediately, Alex's mood changes, and he mumbles something about leaving his phone in his bag and sprints off to the other table, leaving her behind.
- Later on, Gemma goes back to their table and sees Alex standing there with his phone pressed against his ear. He quickly hangs up when she approaches.
- They haven't gotten much of the project done, so Alex proposes that he come over to her place after school so that they can work on it.
- Gemma doesn't know what to say, especially since her family is kind of odd, but she tells him that he can drop by at around 4:30PM anyway.
- Gemma comes home to find that her grandparents are still out. That's perfectly good news to her. She spends her time cleaning up her room, working on the report, and waiting for Alex to arrive.
- When he gets there, she invites him up to her room—which is super bare bones—and asks him where he wants to start.
- He says the report and she informs him that she's already done most of it. He tells her that he'll work on the map at home then, and Gemma takes this to mean that he wants to leave.
- Instead, though, he opts to stay and hang out with her. They're going to just talk, which is weird for someone like Gemma who doesn't have a lot of experience with socializing.
- Alex asks her if she's always liked being alone, and she says that it's only started bothering her lately. Then Alex tells her that he finds her very interesting, which makes her feel uncomfortable.
- Alex also brings up the fact that there's electricity between them. Gemma tries to deny it, but Alex says that she can tell him the truth and that she can trust him.
- He moves in closer to her and Gemma feels a bit faint from his proximity. Is he going to kiss her?
- But before that can happen, she hears Sophia's very angry voice asking what she's doing. Gemma and Alex jump apart.
- Gemma is completely mortified as she tries to salvage the situation by introducing Alex to Sophia.
- Her grandmother tells her that she needs to come downstairs and eat dinner with them—even though they never really eat dinner as a family.
- After Sophia goes back downstairs, Alex says that he should probably leave, too. He goes downstairs while Gemma sits in her room, feeling confused and embarrassed.
- As she steps down the stairs, though, she can hear Alex and Sophia talking. She starts listening in because she's curious, and is surprised to hear Sophia telling Alex that he knows the rules and shouldn't be getting close to Gemma. Whoa… what's going on?
- Alex retorts that someone named Stephan sent him here to get some answers from her, and that's what he's doing.
- They're still arguing when Gemma loses her balance and falls down the stairs. Immediately, the conversation stops.
- Now that her cover is busted, Gemma demands to know why they were talking about her like that. But both Sophia and Alex deny that they were talking about her at all.
- Gemma cries herself to sleep and wakes up the next day to discover that it's already past noon, so she's slept through most of school and no one else is in the house.
- The events from the previous evening are still disturbing her, and Gemma feels like she needs some serious answers.
- Since no one is around, she decides that she should do some snooping in her grandparents' room.
- She finds a secret compartment in their wooden bench and looks through it, only to find a single manila envelope.
- When she opens the envelope, she sees custody papers and then a piece of paper with her name and a list of dates printed.
- None of the dates seem to mean anything until she sees February 8 of this year, which is the exact date that Gemma started feeling emotions again.
- Gemma also finds her birth certificate and learns her mother's name for the first time—Jocelyn Lucas. But the father's name is left totally blank, which confuses Gemma because she was under the impression that both her parents died in a car crash.
- Gemma puts everything back into the secret compartment except the paper with all the dates on it. She hears the downstairs door slam and sneaks out of her grandparents' room just in time.
- Sophia comes into Gemma's room and asks if she's ready to go on her astronomy field trip, which is apparently tonight. Gemma wants to skip, but Sophia tells her that she has to go.
- Gemma gets all dressed up in warm clothes and drives to the school parking lot. No one is around and she gets scared whens she sees another yellow flash out of the corner of her eye as she walks toward the school entrance.
- She sees more of them and starts running as fast as she can toward the school, totally convinced that she's going to die.
- She sees a monstrous creature in a hood, and she slams into something solid. It's Alex again. Of course.
- He asks her why she's running, but Gemma ignores his question and walks straight into the classroom, which is totally packed with students.
- Mr. Sterling rounds up the whole class and leads them outside to get onto a bus. Gemma's not sure where to sit, but then Alex reaches out to grab her hand and makes the decision for her.
- He asks her why she's being snippy with him again, and Gemma says that she just wants to know what was going on between him and Sophia. Why were they talking about her?
- Alex says that he can't tell her that, which is the most frustrating answer ever. Ugh.
- They ride the bus to a small park at the bottom of the foothills, and upon seeing all of the trees, Gemma suddenly wishes she wasn't there at all. This isn't the kind of place that she finds comforting.
- Gemma also wishes she could just confide in Alex about the yellow-eyed monsters and what's going on in her life—she wishes that she had that kind of relationship with anyone—but she remains silent instead.
- They get out of the bus and find telescopes scattered around everywhere. Alex, Aislin, and Gemma find one that's unoccupied and look into it.
- When Gemma looks up at the stars, she feels like a puzzle that she's a part of is coming together. Then everything goes black.
- All of a sudden, Gemma finds herself standing in the middle of a snowless field. She sees some people with blurry voices, including a woman who is talking to a little girl; they're excited to be there.
- When Gemma calls out to them, they don't respond, so she just keeps following them. The woman continues to point out stars to the little girl, who is apparently her daughter.
- The woman points out some stars and tells her that a spot in the sky is from where she fell about five years ago. What does that even mean?
- Then the woman calls her daughter Gemma and Gemma starts to freak out. She starts shouting at the mother and daughter, but they don't even notice her; before she can do anything more, Gemma is yanked backward.
- Gemma comes to and finds that she's back on her field trip and that Alex and Aislin are looking at her oddly. They ask if she's okay but don't seem particularly worried.
- She needs a moment to collect herself and heads toward the bus. Alex follows her and asks why she's crying.
- Gemma goes into the empty bus and starts crying in the dark. She's obviously pretty distraught and wondering if she just went crazy.
- Alex comes into the bus and asks her if something horrible or sad happened to her, but she refuses to tell him and starts making a move to get off the bus. And then he touches her.
- This totally distracts her, and she gets even more distracted when he leans in to kiss her. Gemma is about to fall into that kiss when she hears Aislin's voice in the bus. She's demanding to know what her brother is doing.
- Aislin tells Alex that he should know better than to do something like that, but Alex tells her to be quiet and asks Gemma what she sees outside.
- Gemma says that she feels something cold and slimy close by, and then looks at the windows to see that there's frost across all over them—it's spreading to cover the whole bus.
- She sees a flicker of yellow outside and realizes in horror that her nightmares are coming true. How is this possible?
- Things get weirder when Aislin kneels to the floor and starts doing something with a candle and a chunk of amethyst.
- Alex asks her if she knows what those things outside are, and she says that she's seen them before. This freaks Alex and Aislin out because they realize that those things know something.
- That's when Alex refers to them as Death Walkers and says that if Gemma leaves the bus, the monsters will kill her. So she should just stay put.
- The temperature continues to drop and Gemma feels her body giving into the darkness. Alex tells her that she has to stay awake and then yells at his sister to hurry up.
- The next thing she knows, Gemma is flying through the air.
- Gemma falls onto the ground, and whens he gets up she finds that she's no longer in the school bus. Instead she's in a room with nice hardwood floors, a fancy couch, and dark curtains blocking all the windows.
- Alex and Aislin are behind her and she backs away from them, telling them both to stay away from her. Alex assures her they aren't going to hurt her, but they have to treat her wound.
- That's when Gemma notices that there's a small piece of glass lodged into her skin and that she's bleeding.
- Alex tells Aislin to go find Laylen and see if he has a first aid kid. All of this is super confusing to Gemma, of course.
- She allows Alex to check on her wound and clean it up. She also asks him who this Laylen character is, and he explains that he's a friend of the family who lives in the Nevada desert.
- Then he pulls open a curtain and shows her that they are indeed in the middle of a desert. Gemma is totally flummoxed and demands to know how they got here.
- Alex tells her that Aislin used a form of magic back on the bus to transport them. At first Gemma doesn't believe it—she's convinced that this is all a delusion brought on by the trauma of being chased by the Death Walkers.
- But then Alex tells her that the Death Walkers are demons, and magic is a totally real thing. He also tells her that she's very important, which Gemma seriously doubts.
- Aislin comes back with a first aid kit and says that Laylen's going to stay away until all the blood is gone. Maybe he gets squeamish?
- Aislin gets upset when Alex announces that he's going to tell Gemma everything, but he says that they can't keep her in the dark—after all, Gemma just saw some pretty crazy stuff.
- Apparently this Stephan guy is Alex and Aislin's father. Aislin finally relents to Alex telling Gemma things and goes off to call Stephan, who she needs to keep up-to-date about what's going on.
- Alex starts off with the story of the fallen star again, and says that a group called Custodis of Vita was sent to guard the star. That's Latin for Keepers of Life, but they just call themselves the Keepers.
- He reveals that he, Aislin, Marco, and Sophia are all a part of this group. Gemma is skeptical at first, but then she realizes that this is why Sophia and Alex were talking the other day.
- This star apparently holds a lot of power and some people called Foreseers—who make prophecies about the future—have said that it will prevent the end of the world from happening.
- On December 21, 2012, the planets are supposed to align and a portal is supposed to open up and let out a ton of Death Walkers who are led by this guy named Demetrius. They're going to end the world with ice.
- The fallen star is the only thing that has enough power to keep the portal from opening, so this Demetrius fellow really wants to destroy it.
- To keep the star safe, the Keepers transferred its power into a woman who was pregnant. The star's power ended up going into her unborn baby.
- Alex tells her that this woman's name was Jocelyn and that she was a Keeper. That's when Gemma realizes the connection—her mother's name was Jocelyn.
- Gemma is understandably shocked by this news. At first she assumes it means she's not even human, but Alex assures her that she's a human… with a lot of power inside of her.
- He also tells her that there's more to the story. Apparently another Foreseer predicted that if the baby's emotions weren't controlled, the power of the star would weaken and eventually die.
- To keep that from happening, Stephan made the decision to have Gemma go live with Marco and Sophia in the real world, and to be shown no love or emotions while she was being raised.
- He tells her that they made her unemotional by shutting her off from any emotional contact. She doesn't believe him, but then she thinks about how Marco and Sophia have treated her throughout the years.
- She asks him why she's been able to feel in recent months and brings up the piece of paper with the dates on it.
- Then she tries to run away, but Alex stops her and says that the Death Walkers will find her. After what happened on the bus, he's sure that they know who she is and are hunting her down.
- Because she can't leave on her own, Gemma follows Alex down the hallway. He warns her that Laylen isn't exactly human—in fact, he's actually a vampire.
- He was a Keeper before he was changed, though, so he's more in control of his blood lust than other vampires. She doesn't have to worry about him attacking her.
- They enter a room to find Aislin standing there with her phone. She tells them that she couldn't get a hold of Stephan, Marco, or Sophia; it's starting to worry her.
- Gemma turns around to see a tall blond guy who remarks that the last time he saw her she was about four years old. This must be Laylen.
- Aislin and Laylen tell Alex that kissing Gemma in the bus might have brought about the Death Walkers because they could sense the energy flowing from her, but he gets mad and says that it's not his fault.
- Gemma starts to get overwhelmed again and says that she's going outside to get some air. Laylen offers to go with her.
- Outside, the sky is dark and filled with stars. Gemma sits while Laylen asks her how life is with Marco and Sophia, noting that they're not the most pleasant people to be around.
- He says that he hasn't seen them—or most of the other Keepers—since he became a vampire. He's also pretty sympathetic about Gemma's situation and all this information that she's being inundated with.
- She asks him about being a vampire and Laylen responds that he's not like other vampires. He doesn't drink blood or kill, unlike others, though he's still immortal, stronger than humans, and has fangs.
- He also has the ability to sense when people are afraid and remarks on how Gemma isn't afraid, which is a bit odd.
- Alex opens the door and asks them if they're having fun, though it sounds like he's cranky about it. Laylen winks and helps Gemma up and they walk back into the house.
- They're all pretty nervous because Alex hasn't been able to get a hold of Stephan, Marco, or Sophia either, which just can't be a coincidence.
- Aislin suggests they go back to Afton to look for them, but Alex doesn't agree and says it's too dangerous while the Death Walkers are looking for Gemma.
- So then Aislin suggests that they leave Gemma with Laylen while she and Alex go back to Afton. At first Alex doesn't think this is a good idea, but eventually he concedes.
- The only problem is that Aislin's crystal has been totally destroyed by the Death Walkers' ice, and she can't transport them using magic if she doesn't have a working crystal.
- Laylen tells her that he doesn't have a crystal, but he knows where she can get one in Las Vegas.
- Aislin lets Gemma borrow some of her clothes. She learns that Aislin is really nineteen and Alex is twenty—they both lied about their ages so that they could enroll in school to keep an eye on her.
- Aislin lets slip that when Gemma was little, she used to run around in dresses all the time—then she gets flustered, like she wasn't supposed to say that at all.
- When Gemma asks what she's hiding, Aislin tells her that she's not supposed to know certain things and that she should just drop the subject.
- When they get into Laylen's car, Alex insists on sitting next to Gemma in the back seat because he believes that he'll be able to protect her better than anyone else. Well, okay then.
- This makes things uncomfortable, especially because Gemma is getting all hot and sweaty from being so close to Alex.
- They finally catch sight of Las Vegas, and Gemma, who has lived in a small town all her life, is totally awed.
- Laylen comes to a stop on a sketchy street in front of a place called "Angel's Fortress of Tattoos and Piercings." It's totally scary.
- Alex asks which shop is the one they're going to, and Laylen admits that this isn't the crystal store—he needs to make one extra stop first.
- Alex is super irritated by this, but he simmers down when Laylen says that they're here to pick up the Sword of Immortality.
- It's a sword that can kill immortals, meaning that it can destroy vampires and Death Walkers. Yeah, sounds like it could come in handy.
- Laylen explains that they have to go inside the Black Dungeon, which is a nightclub for vampires. This is starting to get dangerous.
- They go inside and Laylen shows the bouncer a tattoo on his arm. This allows them all in; Gemma wonders what the symbol on his arm is.
- Inside, Gemma is immediately transfixed by a woman dancing in a giant birdcage who has real wings sprouting from her back. For some reason, Gemma wants to go over there and open the cage.
- Alex stops her just in time and tells her that if she opens the cage, she'll be the next person stuck in there. That's what happened to its current occupant.
- She's something called a Black Angel, but when Gemma asks Alex what that means, he says they don't have time to chat. What a cranky dude.
- In the room where the Sword of Immortality is locked up, they all wait impatiently for Aislin to open the case.
- Gemma asks Laylen what his tattoo means, and he tells her that it reveals that he's a vampire. It's not a tattoo actually, but the mark of immortality—it just appeared after he became a vampire.
- Since Laylen is actually answering her questions, Gemma goes on to ask him what a Black Angel is.
- He tells her that it's the same thing as a normal angel, just from hell instead of heaven. Alex interrupts their little chat to (sarcastically) ask if they're enjoying themselves and to tell them to be better lookouts for danger.
- Laylen tells Alex that he's being way too uptight, but he changes his mind and says that maybe Alex is upset about Laylen talking to Gemma for other reasons. Things get pretty tense. Or let's make that tenser—it seems more accurate.
- Aislin gets the sword just in time and puts it in a duffel bag.
- Then they all feel a chill: The Death Walkers have arrived.
- They make their escape via the fire escape while Laylen distracts anyone who runs in to see what's going on. Aislin says that she's staying with him, too, even though Alex initially objects.
- Alex gives in and grabs Gemma's hand; they have to get out of this place right now.
- Gemma feels horribly guilty about leaving Aislin and Laylen behind to fend for themselves, but Alex keeps pulling her along.
- They find the fire escape and as soon as they open the door, the alarm goes off and a Death Walker appears. So much for being sneaky.
- Alex pulls Gemma back inside and pushes her into a random door where they find a man lying on a bed while a blonde vampire kneels over him. When she sees them enter, she bares her fangs at the intruders. Oops.
- Alex pulls Gemma out of the room and they continue on down the hallway. He opens a door to find an empty room, and tells her to get behind a screen.
- He says that he's going to kill the Death Walker, and that she just needs to hide and not be afraid. Then he leaves her by herself.
- Gemma stays behind the divider and panics, hoping that all of her friends (or whatever they are to her) are safe.
- She decides to step out from behind the divider, but before she can, the lights flip on and all of a sudden there's fog swirling all around her. She freaks out.
- When she jumps out from behind the divider, she looks around but can't see any yellow eyes, which we'd say is good news.
- She runs toward where she thinks the door is, but instead of touching a door handle, she comes into contact with fabric. Ice cold fabric.
- Gemma looks up to see that she's run straight into a Death Walker. She is in so much trouble…
- She immediately runs in the opposite direction and presses herself against the wall to get as far away as possible. Of course the Death Walker just charges at her, though; Gemma is sure she's dead meat.
- Closing her eyes, Gemma waits for death to overtake her… but then she hears a loud bang and a shriek. She opens her eyes to see the Death Walker lying on the floor dead.
- Alex is in the room, asking if she's okay; he holds out his hand and pulls her up and toward him.
- He yanks the Sword of Immortality out of the Death Walker's back and Gemma sees that it's covered in black goo. They've killed all the Death Walkers in the club.
- Alex leads Gemma downstairs and to the car outside, where Aislin and Laylen are waiting. Then they drive away.
- Gemma lies in the backseat of the car and feels like her head is completely spinning—she feels like she doesn't have a strong grasp on reality at all.
- When she focuses on her surroundings, she realizes that they're parked in front of some store. Apparently, Laylen has gone inside to make sure that everything is safe before the rest of them join him.
- Aislin and Alex ask Gemma if she's feeling okay, and if she can still feel emotions. They're totally hoping that she had a shock and went back to being the unemotional Gemma; it would make things easier for them.
- She gets upset and tells them that it's not the case. Then she notices that there's a picture of a crescent moon outlined by a black star on the store door—the same image that's tattooed onto Aislin's shoulder.
- Aislin informs her that it's not a tattoo, it's a witch's mark which appeared on her skin right after she became a witch. She also has another mark on her ankle that appeared because she's a Keeper.
- Alex chimes in to say that he has one, too, but it's in a different spot. He teases Gemma and says that he can show her where it is, which totally embarrasses her.
- They get the sign from Laylen that the coast is clear, so they all leave the car and walk inside the store.
- Gemma is walking around when she sees a crystal ball that looks like what fortune tellers use. She wants to touch it, but Alex tells her not to—it's a Foreseer's crystal ball, which is what Foreseers use to see visions.
- The woman who owns the store comes downstairs and asks them what they're looking for. Aislin tells her that they need a crystal that can help them to travel a distance of about five hundred miles.
- The woman leads Aislin through a doorway and they both disappear to wherever the woman keeps her hidden goods.
- While they wait, Gemma asks Alex what's going to happen to her after the portal closes. Instead of answering, though, his face completely drains of color. That can't be a good sign…
- Gemma starts to realize that even if she stops all the Death Walkers, she will never get to live a normal life. In fact, she might die stopping them. This idea totally upsets her.
- Gemma whirls around and bumps into the Foreseers crystal ball, which falls to the ground. Without thinking, she reaches out to pick it up as Alex and Laylen yell at her.
- She feels her whole body being pulled into a dark tunnel. Uh-oh…
- Gemma falls for what feels like forever until she lands on something that feels like grass. She sits up and sees that she's somewhere near a lake that she doesn't recognize… but somehow feels like she's been here before.
- She's been sucked into the Foreseers' ball, and Gemma tries not to panic as she figures out what to do next.
- First she tries screaming for help; then she tries crying.
- Someone runs by her and she sees that it's a little girl who looks to be around four or five years old. She goes up to the girl and tries to tap her on the shoulder to talk to her, but the girl doesn't seem to see or feel her.
- She also sees a little boy run across before a man starts yelling at them and saying that they have to go now. None of the people in the vision have clear faces.
- A woman comes into view and starts yelling at the man to leave the little girl alone. The man retorts that she knew that when the girl was born something like this would have to happen.
- The woman—who is apparently the little girl's mother—tells her not to be afraid and that she won't let anything happen to her.
- That's when the man grabs the little girl and snatches her away. He takes a small black bag out of his pocket and the woman freezes in horror. Gemma can't figure out what's going on.
- Then the man asks the little girl if she'd like to go for a swim in the lake, and the woman freaks out even more.
- He says that he won't bring her in there as long as the woman goes into the lake herself; she starts crying and saying that he'll never get away with this.
- Then the man tells the little girl to go back into the house. She leaves only when the woman tells her that it's going to be okay.
- Gemma watches in horror as the woman walks into the lake while telling the man that he'll get caught someday. He dumps some weird ashes into the water from the black bag, and then she disappears below the surface while Gemma screams.
- Gemma rushes into the lake to try to save the woman, but she can't actually interact with anything in her surroundings. She's standing in the water when she feels a hand pull at her ankle and drag her down…
- Gemma gasps and wakes up again to find that she's back in the shop with Alex hovering over her. He looks worried and asks her what's wrong.
- Alex asks her if she went into a vision and Gemma says that she did. He's amazed that she was able to come back from it safe and sound.
- He leads her out to the car so she can calm down and has her tell him everything that she saw. Alex then explains to her that what pulled the woman into the lake was a Water Faerie.
- Water Faeries are Guardians of the Underworld, otherwise known as the land of the dead. Whenever Keepers capture bad guys (like vampires going on killing sprees), they sentence them to a life down in the Underworld as punishment.
- They keep their prisoners down their to torture them and feed off of their fear, which makes most prisoners go insane eventually. Once they go insane, the Queen orders to have the prisoners killed.
- Alex starts asking Gemma about her dreams and she admits that they started happening once she began feeling emotions. Being in the car alone with him also starts to make her feel that strange electricity—and she doesn't know what to do.
- Then she asks him if she can change what happened to the woman inside her vision, but he tells her that prophecies are almost impossible to change.
- Even the prophecy about her—and how if anything happens to her the world will end—is super difficult to manipulate.
- Gemma asks him if they have a back-up plan now that she's being emotional and Alex responds quickly that they don't. She senses that he's lying, though, and gets mad.
- Aislin pops into the car and tells them that they need to stop fighting all the time because they're making this whole situation even more stressful. Then they pile into the car and drive off.
- Gemma feels like she's drowning and can hear a voice calling to her. It tells her that she's supposed to go down to the bottom of the lake because it needs her help.
- As she sinks down to the bottom, fingers wrap around her ankles and she starts screaming, swallowing water as she does so.
- Someone shakes her awake and Gemma realizes that she's still in the back of the car, which is now parked in the garage. It's just Alex and her in the car, and he tells her that Aislin and Laylen are inside getting things set up.
- They go inside and Aislin shows them her new crystal that should get them all the way to Afton with no problem.
- Before Alex goes with Aislin, he tells Laylen to promise that he'll do a good job of looking after Gemma. Gemma even agrees to behave and to run away if anything crazy happens.
- Alex picks up the Sword of Immortality and Aislin starts chanting; then there's a flash of red and they both disappear.
- After they're gone, Laylen looks at Gemma and tells her that she looks so much like her mother.
- Gemma asks him about her mother and he tells her how kind and wonderful she was. Then he says that he's surprised that she doesn't remember anything about her.
- This throws Gemma for a loop since she was supposedly one when her mom "died." But he tells her that Sophia and Marco have been lying to her—she was actually four. Why would Sophia and Marco do that?
- Then Laylen says that it's his fault because he knew what Stephan was planning to do to her and didn't stop it. Gemma assures him that he was just a kid back then, though, and couldn't do anything.
- Because he's being so understanding, Gemma tells him everything about her life and also about how confusing these past few days have been for her. He listens patiently and tells her that he's sorry she's had to go through all of this.
- Then Laylen tells her that no matter what Alex says, she shouldn't trust Stephan—he's done a lot of things that are questionable, especially when he told everyone that her mom died even though she just disappeared.
- He tells her that he can't say for sure that Stephan had something to do with her mom's disappearance, but he's definitely a very power hungry man and he didn't like the fact that Gemma's mom didn't want her daughter's emotions taken away.
- Gemma is exhausted from the events of the day, so Laylen suggests they get her something to eat before she goes to sleep.
- Laylen starts making Gemma some eggs in the kitchen and asks her about the list of dates she mentioned. She reaches in her pocket, but realizes that she's wearing Aislin's clothes—her clothes went into the wash, which means that the list is totally destroyed.
- She eats her eggs and asks Laylen how he got turned into a vampire. He tells her that he doesn't remember; he just woke up in an alley with a bite mark on his neck and the mark of immortality on his arm.
- It's weird because becoming a vampire is supposed to be a pretty memorable experience, but Laylen doesn't remember it at all.
- Then he asks her if she feels that prickling sensation whenever she feels an emotion. Gemma says that it only happens when she feels a new emotion.
- They're talking when Laylen realizes that Gemma is shivering… which means that it's getting colder… which means the Death Walkers have found them.
- They look outside and see that the dreaded Death Walkers are walking across the desert toward the house. Laylen pushes Gemma into a room and starts randomly throwing books off of the bookshelf.
- When she asks him what he's doing, he tells her that he's looking for a key. He grabs one from one of the books, lifts a rug in the room, and tells Gemma to get into a trapdoor in the floor.
- He tells her that she needs to hide while he fights off the Death Walkers, which makes her feel bad because she can't help him out. He says that it's her duty to hide because of who she is, and then he gives her a gold-handed knife to hang onto.
- If she gets caught by a Death Walker, she's supposed to stab it until she can run to the car in the garage. The key is in the ignition and she can drive all the way back to Las Vegas and the shop where they bought Aislin's crystal.
- Gemma hides while the room gets colder; she can just hear banging and thumping above her. The whole thing makes her feel super nervous.
- Eventually the noise dwindles down and Gemma decides that it's probably okay to come out now. The metal of the trapdoor is cold and frosted, though, and when she tries to get out she has a hard time lifting the trap door.
- Gemma finally gets out to find that the window is shattered and there are icicles hanging from the ceiling. She knows that she has to get to the car stat, but she also wants to look for Laylen first.
- As she's trying to make it to the garage, Gemma sees a Death Walker coming toward her. She tries to run away, but the Death Walker is too fast and soon it's right there.
- She grabs the knife and wrenches it into the Death Walker's heart. It lets out a terrible scream but continues to lunge at her—but before it can get to her, it topples to the ground.
- She tries to stream but can't make a noise, and as Gemma lies on the ground, she feels her strength slip away. Soon she falls asleep.
- She hears a man's voice telling someone that this wasn't part of the plan, and that they were supposed to keep the girl secluded from humanity.
- The other man says to Demetrius—which Gemma recognizes as the bad guy's name—that the other Keepers are getting suspicious. Wait a minute… is there a Keeper who's working with Demetrius? Aren't they supposed to be sworn enemies?
- The man who's not Demetrius says that they're suspicious because the girl's mother disappeared. Then he starts laughing. Gemma has the dreadful feeling that they're talking about her and her mother.
- She looks at the men and sees that one has long dark hair while the other has slicked back dark hair. Their faces are both blurred out just like all the other faces Gemma sees in her visions.
- She can see that the Keeper man has a scar on his cheek, though—which means that he's the same man from her dreams. He's the man who steps out of the shadows in the forest after the Death Walkers capture her.
- Gemma gasps… and then she hears someone calling at her to wake up. When she comes to, she sees Alex standing over her and looking terrified.
- He yells at Aislin to run and get Laylen because Gemma's skin is already turning blue; then he helps her sit up and leans into her.
- The electricity between them starts working and Gemma feels her body warming up. She can even move her limbs, which is definitely a good sign.
- He says that he can't believe that she actually stabbed one of the Death Walkers. Then Laylen and Aislin run back into the room yelling about how they have to get out of here pronto because there are more Death Walkers.
- Alex tells Aislin to transport them out of there. She can't do all four people at once, though, so Alex says that he'll go first with Gemma while Laylen stays behind.
- They go to Hartfield Cabin. Gemma feels herself flying through the air, and then when she opens her eyes, she sees that she's in a room with dusty white sheets draped all over the furniture. The walls are made out of logs.
- Aislin says that she'll be right back and starts chanting again, then she disappears to retrieve Laylen.
- Gemma and Alex sit down on the floor and wait for Aislin and Laylen to return. Ten minutes pass… and then another ten… They stare at the clock until Gemma says what's on both of their minds: Aislin and Laylen are not coming back right now.
- Alex tells Gemma that they have to go into town so he can get a signal on his cell phone and try to contact Aislin. Apparently they're in Colorado right now.
- As they're getting ready to leave, Alex accidentally says something about how her eyes are the color of the flowers she used to pick whens he was a kid.
- That's when Gemma reveals that Laylen told her about how her mom actually disappeared when she was four and not one. He goes silent and tells her that they need to go into town now.
- As they drive into town, Alex demands to know what else Laylen told Gemma. She lies and says that she didn't learn anything else, and even though Alex doesn't believe her, there's nothing that he can do to drag the information out of her.
- She also asks him if it's possible to see a vision without the Foreseer's ball since that's what she suspects has been happening to her.
- He says that it would take a very strong Foreseer to do so and then asks if she's seen something without the crystal ball. Gemma immediately lies and says that she hasn't.
- Then his phone rings and Alex picks up to talk to Stephan. He leaves the car and goes outside to talk, but Gemma cracks open the window to listen in on his conversation.
- She can hear him say something about how she's getting suspicious, and how he's having a hard time lying to her. Hmm, that doesn't sound good.
- Alex returns to the car and says that Stephan is on his way. He also tells her that Aislin and Laylen are safe, which brightens her mood. Apparently Stephan sent them on some sort of errand.
- They go to the grocery store to get some supplies, and Gemma asks Alex where everyone was when he couldn't get a hold of them. He just shrugs it off and tells her to get some chips.
- According to Stephan, he went back to Vegas and showed up just in time to save Aislin and Laylen from getting killed by the Death Walkers. This all sounds a little too neat for Gemma's taste, though.
- She acts skeptical and Alex tells her not to believe everything that Laylen tells her—he claims Laylen is just holding a grudge against Stephan for kicking him out after he turned into a vampire.
- This doesn't convince Gemma at all since she thinks that Laylen is a perfectly nice guy, so they start to argue and can feel the sparks flying between them again.
- At the checkout counter, Alex flirts with the cashier, which totally annoys Gemma. She goes to check out the magazine stand when a strange guy with blond hair starts chatting her up. He says that his name is Nicholas.
- She catches a glimpse of a tattoo of an S and a circle on his wrist and wonders if it's just a tattoo… or if it's another mark.
- She tells him that she has to go and he says that maybe they can go out sometime. Alex appears by her side and pulls her away as quickly as he can.
- In the car, he starts to chastise her for talking to a stranger, which obviously irritates her. He tells her that she should have just walked away and she gets mad at him for flirting with the cashier. Go team.
- When Alex parks the car at the cabin, Gemma jumps out and walks inside without waiting for him or helping with the groceries.
- As soon as she passes the kitchen, though, she hears a voice say her name. Then a hand covers her mouth and she hears Nicholas tell her that he's not going to hurt her. That's not very convincing at all…
- Alex walks into the cabin and sees Nicholas holding Gemma hostage. Immediately he drops the groceries and turns pale.
- Nicholas introduces himself again, and Alex recognizes him. He asks why Nicholas is here, and Gemma takes this opportunity to kick Nicholas as hard as she can to get away.
- He lets go of her and she runs over to Alex. Alex demands to know why Nicholas is here, so Nicholas tells them that he's here on behalf of the Foreseers—and that he's come for Gemma. The Foreseers want her so that she can train to be a Foreseer. Hello there, plot twist.
- Nicholas tells Gemma that she is a Foreseer because she used a crystal ball to see a vision. Based on that, the law states that she belongs to the Foreseers and needs to go to the City of Crystal so she can train.
- Alex says that he's coming with them if that's the case, and Nicholas argues, but Alex stays firm and eventually Nicholas concedes that Alex can come along to protect Gemma.
- Nicholas brings a small crystal ball out of his pocket and tells Gemma to place her hand on it. As soon as she does so, there's a bright burst of light and she goes traveling through a dark tunnel.
- Gemma lands with a thud on the ground, which happens to be made of crystal. Apparently the City of Crystal is pretty literally named.
- She looks around to see that she's standing in a crystal cave that's sparkling and super pretty; she hears a whoosh and then Alex drops down next to her.
- Then Nicholas appears and says that Gemma will have to stay until she's trained. He starts trying to flirt with her, but she says that she'd rather go back with Alex as soon as she can.
- Nicholas gets all cranky and leads them down a path to a set of silver doors. The handles are twisted in the shape of a circle that wraps around an S—basically they're the same symbols as Nicholas's tattoo.
- He tells them to wait here while he goes inside. Gemma is nosy and wants to see what's on the other side, but the door snaps shut too quickly for her to see anything.
- Alex tells her that when they get in there, he's going to do most of the talking. It's going to be hard for them to let Gemma go because according to law, she belongs with the Foreseers.
- He also warns her that the Foreseers don't know that she's the one with the star's power inside of her and that this needs to stay a secret.
- They're starting to feel some of that electric tension between them again when Nicholas interrupts to say that they can go in.
- Gemma walks through the doors and gasps—this place is absolutely gorgeous. They go up a path until they arrive at a silver throne where a short man with elf shoes and dark brown hair is standing.
- Alex mentions to Gemma that she should be careful around Nicholas since he's part faerie.
- Then a man appears from behind the throne. He's old and has grey hair and silver robes, and he introduces himself as Dyvinius, leader of the Foreseers. Then he says that as Foreseers, they use the power of the Divination Crystal to see visions of either the past or the future. And once a vision is read, it becomes permanent; you can't change it.
- Of course Gemma recognizes what this means: The vision about the world ending because of the Death Walkers is totally going to come true. After all, didn't this guy just say that?
- Alex steps in and says that Gemma has to stay with the Keepers. When Dyvinius asks why, Alex won't tell him, which obviously displeases the old man. He says that if Gemma doesn't stay here, she could end up either altering the future or getting trapped inside a vision.
- Instead of getting upset, Alex continues to calmly reason with Dyvinius, who finally says that they should make a promise that she'll never use a crystal ball again until she's properly trained, and that after all this is over, she'll come back to the Foreseers.
- Alex says that this can be arranged, and then Dyvinius tells them that Gemma just needs to do one more thing until she can return to the Keepers: He needs her to go into a vision and correct it. Apparently, when she was in her last vision, all of the peoples' faces were blurry and that's unacceptable. Every vision must be seen clearly.
- So now she has to go back in and concentrate on doing it correctly so that the vision becomes clear; she has to be able to see the faces.
- He holds out the crystal ball to her and tells her to put her hand on it. Then he has Nicholas take her hand so that he can help her with the vision.
- She closes her eyes, and once again, Gemma is sucked into a whole other place.
- She lands in the lake scene again with Nicholas, who can't see anything but gray blurriness. That's because this isn't his vision—he can't see it like she can.
- He tells her to wait until the vision starts and then tell him what's going on so that he can help her see it more clearly.
- She sees the little girl twirling again and describes it to Nicholas. He tells her that she needs to take a deep breath, relax, and let her mind make sense of the images; she needs to concentrate on letting the faces become clear to her.
- She keeps almost getting there before her concentration is shattered by the man's arrival in the vision.
- When the man takes the woman into the lake, Gemma runs after them because she wants to see her mother. Suddenly all the faces become clear to her—and she can see the man's face and all of its details.
- Because the vision is now complete, Nicholas can see it in full detail now. He says that it's the Keepers' castle. They return to the City of Crystal because her mission is complete.
- Dyvinius is gone when she returns, and Alex is standing there waiting for her; she tells him that she's ready to go.
- Nicholas sends them back using a crystal ball, and they land in the cabin once again. As soon as they get there, Gemma gets straight to the point and asks Alex if her memory's ever been erased.
- From the look on Alex's face, she can tell the answer is a definite yes. She tells him that she knows this because the little girl in the vision is her—when she could see her clearly, she saw the violet eyes.
- She also tells him that the woman forced to go to the Underworld was her mother. She brings up the other vision she had of the little girl looking up at the stars and talking to her mother.
- Gemma's pretty sure that she's been tapping into her lost memories with these visions, but even when she starts to cry, Alex continues to insist that her memory wasn't erased.
- Then he tells her that after her mother disappeared, she was inconsolable and crying all the time. Stephan contacted Sophia, who has a gift for removing souls. Instead of taking Gemma's soul, though, she detached it from her emotions.
- And since emotions have such a huge impact on memories, this procedure made it so that Gemma couldn't remember much about her past.
- And then Sophia and Marco took her to Afton to hide her from the Death Walkers. They chose a cold place because it made it difficult to track the star's energy.
- He also tells her that they don't know why she's feeling emotions again. When it first started happening, Sophia tried to detach Gemma's emotions again but it didn't work.
- Then Alex drops the ultimate truth bomb: Stephan has called for another Keeper with Sophia's gift for removing souls, except with stronger powers. He's on his way down here to remove Gemma's soul… forever. Say what?
- Of course Gemma gets upset and says that they can't do this to her and that she's a human being, too. She tells Alex that he's just okay with this because he's always hated her from day one.
- Instead of agreeing, Alex tells her that he doesn't hate her and then he leans in for a kiss. Bad timing, much?
- Gemma is still overwhelmed and upset, so she pushes him away; then she locks herself in a room and starts crying.
- Gemma falls asleep and sometime later wakes up to find that she's in another vision or memory.
- Gemma watches as her mother talks to the little girl version of herself about stars and about how she must remember that she loves her no matter what happens. She can't forget that.
- Then Gemma wakes up in the cabin again and finds that she's been crying in her sleep. The glimpse into her early life with her mother is just too much for her; it breaks her heart.
- She doesn't know what to do, so she decides to look for Alex. He doesn't seem to be anywhere in the cabin, though, so she sits down on the couch and waits.
- Then she sees him sitting on the porch and decides to go outside to talk to him. He's surprised that she's actually talking to him again.
- That's when Alex gives her something—a necklace with a violet stone carved in the center of a heart shaped pendant. He says it's something that her mother gave to her before everything happened. Gemma is touched and emotionally overwhelmed.
- He helps her put the necklace on and notices that she has a Foreseer's mark forming on the back of her neck. He says that it's interesting that she's a Foreseer because it usually is inherited and her mother was a Keeper.
- She asks about her father, and he says that no one knows who he is. Her mother insisted on keeping it a total secret from everyone—even the other Keepers.
- Because he's touching her, the electricity starts to affect them both; Alex eventually gives in and kisses her. Gemma can't help herself and kisses him right back.
- Then they just sit on the porch swing together and look up at the stars. How romantic.
- Gemma examines her necklace and realizes that it's a locket. When she opens it, she can see a group photo of people and recognition washes over her.
- She points to a man and asks Alex who it is. He says that's his father, Stephan, and Gemma immediately panics. The man is familiar to her because he's the one from her nightmares—he's the one working with Demetrius and forcing her mother into the lake in her dreams.
- Alex tells her that it's not possible and that she must be mistaken, but Gemma is insistent—she saw it in a vision. She also tells him that she saw a little boy in the vision, and that she thought it was him.
- He says that he doesn't remember any of this and Gemma points out that his memories might have been tampered with, too. Alex looks doubtful, though, and says that his father would never do something like that.
- Gemma starts to get upset and tells him about the dreams she's had where Stephan is working with Demetrius and leading the Death Walkers to finish her off.
- This is all very shocking and unbelievable to Alex, who doesn't want to believe that his father could be the bad guy in all of this.
- They start arguing about it when the air suddenly freezes over with a deathly chill. Death Walkers must be near.
- Alex immediately goes into a cabinet to find the Sword of Immortality as well as a smaller sword, which he hands over to Gemma.
- He tells her that they're going to make a run for it and rushes her toward the garage and into the car.
- As he backs up the car, though, Alex suddenly comes to a hard stop. Gemma looks over to see that tons of glowing yellow eyes are directly behind them. They're trapped.
- Then someone emerges from around the corner and she sees that it's Stephan, Alex's dad. Oh, great.
- Alex immediately takes the key out of the ignition and opens the car door to talk to his father. Gemma tries to stop him, but he shushes her and tells her to hide her necklace inside her shirt—he whispers that no matter what, she should keep that hidden and not let anyone know she has it.
- Then before she can stop him, he climbs out of the car to talk to Stephan. Gemma watches him talking to his father and then decides that she can't leave him alone, so she gets out, too.
- When she approaches him, Stephan says that it's nice to meet her as though this is their first time meeting. What a liar.
- Stephan says that Alex has done a good job of keeping Gemma out of trouble, but that he's going to take it from here.
- Alex says that he doesn't understand why all the Death Walkers are here, but instead of answering his question, Stephan tells Alex to hand over the Sword of Immortality and keep his mouth shut. He's not supposed to question his father.
- Alex says that he'll give him the sword… but then instead of handing it over, he punches Stephan right in the face. Then he yells at Gemma to run, and she shoots off into the forest.
- It's only when she's been running for a bit that Gemma realizes that running into the forest—where she dies at the hands of Death Walkers in her dreams—is probably not the best idea. Oops.
- Then she hears a twig snap behind her and swings around with the sword in her hands. She sees Stephan and some Death Walkers walking straight for her, and her body starts to become cold.
- Stephan comes up to her and easily knocks her sword out of her hands; then he asks her if she's going somewhere.
- As he drags her back to the cabin, Gemma asks him if he's going to kill her. Stephan laughs and says that it's very important that she remain alive and that he hopes no permanent damage has been done.
- He slashes her in the leg with the sword and Gemma screams out. She's relieved to see Alex in the cabin at first, until she realizes that he's just sitting on the couch and not rushing to protect her at all.
- Then Alex apologizes to his father about what happened before and says that he didn't understand the situation. Stephan tells him that they need to do it now before things get worse.
- That's when Gemma realizes that they're talking about: They're planning to remove her soul as soon as possible.
- She gets mad and asks Alex if he's just going to stand aside and let this happen to her after everything that his father has done—after he sent her mother to the Underworld.
- Stephan asks her how she knows about this and Gemma is surprised to see that Alex doesn't tell him that Gemma is a Foreseer. She keeps her mouth shut, too.
- Stephan calls out for the memoria extracto, and a Death Walker comes into the room carrying a small black box with a red eye painted on it. Inside is a grey rock that immediately starts turning black and puffing out smoke.
- He says that it's something that will allow him to do more than detaching her soul: It will get rid of all of Gemma's memories and wipe away everything inside of her mind so that she won't even be able to function. She'll just be a shell of a person.
- Gemma starts crying and begs Alex to stop his father, but his only response is to turn away from her. She feels utterly betrayed.
- Gemma focuses on thinking about her mother as Stephan holds the rock in front of her. Eventually, she feels her eyes close and a crash… and she's gone.