The Glass Menagerie Scene Five
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Legend on the screen says "Annunciation." This is a biblical reference to when the angel tells Mary she got pregnant and the savior is coming.
- Tom narrates to us about The Paradise Dance Hall across the street from the Wingfield’s apartment. He says people go there to escape their mundane lives.
- Amanda joins him in the porch while they discuss Laura – Tom has coerced one of his friends into being a gentleman caller.
- When Tom says this, a blast of music hits the audience. Williams is really into this whole drama thing.
- Amanda is all excited and freaks out because she has to primp herself and her house and her daughter for the big occasion.
- Then she harps on the fact that this guy (with the Irish last name of "O’Connor") better not be a drinker, because Tom’s father drank and we all know how that turned out.
- The music gets ominous while they discuss Laura and her peculiarities (you know, the glass fetish and the crippled leg).
- Tom goes...to the movies. Where else would he go?
- Amanda and Laura wish on the moon, accompanied by the screen projection of...a moon.
The Glass Menagerie Scene Five Study Group
Ask questions, get answers, and discuss with others.
Tired of ads?
Join today and never see them again.