The Diary of Anne Frank (play) Act 1, Scene 1
Advertisement - Guide continues below
Act 1, Scene 1
- We see the ending of the play before it even begins.
- Otto Frank has survived the Holocaust and returns to the attic where he and his family spent two years in hiding.
- Miep Gies meets him there and gives him the diary.
- The stage directions give us the idea that things have been neglected and a large amount of time has passed.
- Otto is old, weary, and heartbroken. We get the idea that something terrible has happened.
- Miep hands him Anne's diary and Otto begins to read it aloud before Anne's voice takes over.