- On the cold, crowded sidewalks of Paris, a boy bumps against Kat. Kat knows something is up, so she follows him and brushes up against him.
- Then the point of view shifts to the boy, who goes home... and finds Kat waiting for him there. "You can pick pockets," she says. "I can pick locks. […] Maybe I can pick pockets too" (22.21).
- His I.D. says his name is Nicholas Smith. Can that be his real name? It's so boring. We guess we'll find out later.
- Kat gets his life story in abbreviated form. She asks him if he has a record, if he's ever been caught pick pocketing, and if he has a crew. The answer to all three: no.
- She recruits him to her heist team, because he is, like, an obvious choice.