Hey, everyone. Meet Katniss: the girl who cannot love. Katniss has spent her whole life just trying to survive and because of that she does not, repeat, does not get attached to people. There is this one boy, though, named Gale that she kinda sorta likes. Then there's Peeta who she's just pretending to be in love with. Right? Hm. Sounds like it could get complicated.
Oh, and wait. There's another problem too. Love is a battlefield, sure, but we also learn that in the Hunger Games romance can be a really great way to survive on the battlefield. By snogging on her co-tribute Peeta, Katniss is able to score support and gifts from her sponsors. Unfortunately, none of this helps Katniss figure out how she really feels.
Questions About Love
- Does Katniss love Peeta? Why does she feel indebted to him?
- Why does Katniss pull the berry trick? Why does she risk her life to get the medicine for Peeta? Does she do these things out of love (or friendship) for Peeta, or does she have some other motive?
- What is the significance of the dandelion?
- Do you think it was wrong for Katniss to play along with the romance plot?
- How do you think Gale will react when Katniss returns to District 12?
- Why doesn't Katniss get attached to people (aside from her little sister)?
- Does Katniss love her mom?