Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Toswiah/Evie is trying to read, but her father keeps whispering the Miranda Rights over and over.
- The story she's reading is about a white girl with a dog who is not white, and it has a happy ending.
- Toswiah/Evie observes that there weren't many black people in Denver, but it never seemed to matter among cops—they were all one family.
- Mama is reading her Bible, and Toswiah/Evie wonders who she is and where she fits in all this.
- Evie remembers a time when she was Toswiah and Daddy picked her and Cameron up from school in his patrol car. She felt safe.