Advertisement - Guide continues below
A Lovely Day Tomorrow
- This time around, Ursula and Crighton have split up, so Ursula is still living across the hall from Mrs. Appleyard.
- However, instead of taking shelter in the basement when the sirens go off, she notices a dog cowering across the street, and runs over to protect it.
- When the bomb falls, the explosion knocks her over and "everything went dark" (23.18)…
- Except this time, Ursula lives; the dog wakes her up by licking her face.
- A fireman comes over to check on her, and he looks just like Fred Smith.
- Unfortunately, the wall of her apartment that's barely standing decides to fall at this moment, crushing them both (and probably the dog, too) and "bringing the darkness down with it" (23.23).
- Instead of reading a book on shorthand, like she did the last time she lived August 1926, Ursula is studying German.
- Everyone is bored on this long summer day, and Maurice teaches Ursula to shoot, calling her a "real Annie Oakley" (23.28).
- Ursula goes for a long walk before supper (after being kissed on her sixteenth birthday by Howie, a feat that seems to be a little less rape-y this time) and runs into Nancy and walks her home.
- On the way to Ursula's house, she bumps into Benjamin Cole on his bike (not literally) and he asks her to a party.
- He pedals off, and a strange man comes out of the woods and grabs Ursula.
- She shakes him off and runs, but she doesn't tell anyone about it.
- Later, she goes to the party but it "was a disappointment" (23.62) because Ben hardly pays attention to her.
- She brings a bunch of cake back home and shares it with Teddy. Cake makes everything better.
More on Life After Life