The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon Chapter 13
By David Grann
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Remember James Lynch, who was kidnapped in the Amazon back in Chapter 2?
- Dude's just peachy.
- Grann meets Lynch in São Paulo to learn about his escape from captivity.
- Here's Lynch's story.
- Lynch is held prisoner for two days by a local tribe.
- Lynch realizes that four of the five chiefs all defer to a fifth one. That's the guy he needs to do business with.
- Lynch agrees to give this chieftain everything in exchange for release: boats, equipment, money.
- The amount of the ransom comes to a whopping $30K.
- On the way home, Lynch wonders if Fawcett, too, had been taken hostage.
- Lynch gives Grann some advice: find a top-notch guide with ties to the area and go in quietly.
- Hmm, beats our plan of yelling and screaming and running in with someone from Peoria, Illinois.
The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon Chapter 13 Study Group
Ask questions, get answers, and discuss with others.
Tired of ads?
Join today and never see them again.
More on The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon Navigation