The Lovely Bones Chapter 18
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- In New York, Ruth is talking to her dad on the phone. She learns that the sinkhole (where Susie's body parts were dumped) will be filled in so the area can be developed.
- Ruth has always been fascinated with the sinkhole and plans to go back and check it out soon.
- Since she lives in a tiny closet, in the house of a nosy lady, she stays out all the time.
- When she's not working in the bar, she wanders the streets, finding places where women and girls were murdered, writing about them in her notebook. The dead in heaven admire her work.
- Buckley, now in seventh grade, gets up early that weekend to work on his garden.
- When he comes out with a box of clothes, Jack stops him.
- Buckley says he needs the cloth to makes strips to tie his tomatoes to their stakes. Jack tells him that the clothes in the box belong to Susie.
- Buckley says he should be able to use them, but Jack tells him no way.
- Buckley gets mad, and tells his dad to get over Susie and be there for his living family. He accuses him of stealing Susie's Monopoly shoe.
- Buckley says Abigail left him because he couldn't get over it.
- Jack hears a voice inside him say, "Let go, let go, let go" and then his father collapses. Buckley runs to get Grandma Lynn.
- Jack has suffered a heart attack and is in the hospital. Buckley is in bed, consumed with guilt. He prays to Susie to save Jack.
- In heaven, Susie meets her father's father, and they dance together to Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings."